Saturday, January 1, 2011

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)



This camera is really fantastic and a nice upgrade from the LX3. That's not to say that everyone should upgrade, but I think there are some significant advantages.



For me, I really needed the additional zoom and was very excited to hear that this is exactly what the LX5 had, without sacrificing the f2.0 lens. My brother needed a new camera anyway and was happy to get my 2 year old LX3. (By the way that camera is in nearly perfect condition. Panasonic really build a quality product with the LX line and I think the LX5 is even better.



Here are the major comparisons to the LX3. Decide if these are worth it to you:
  • Better image stabilization. I am getting crisp photos at speeds as low as 1/10sec.

  • Better sensor than the LX3. The colors are slightly more accurate and the auto white balance works better (I need to make less adjustments). 

  • Better low-light shooting. Perfectly usable up to 1600 out of the camera. Shots in ISO 3200-6400 can be used with some photoshopping. ISO 12800 won't be very good, but nice to have if you don't care about quality and just need a quick shot in the dark. With the LX3 I was getting usable shots at ISO 800. 

  • Faster autofocusing. 

  • Face detection. 

  • Autofocus tracking! 

  • Better processor. Faster startup and shot-to-shot time. 

  • Better battery life... this camera lasts almost twice as long!! And I always thought the battery life on the LX3 was already outstanding. I'm going on a weekend trip soon and feel confident that this will last the entire weekend without needing a charge. 

  • As mentioned, the added zoom is terrific. It's interesting to note that the overall size of the camera has remained roughly the same as the LX3 despite the upgrade. 

  • Easier to get into the film mode with the dedicated movie button. I've tested this a few times and it's very useful for quick recording. 

  • Better quality video. Uses the newer avchd codec, but you can always record in motion jpeg. 

  • More comfortable to hold and better build quality. 

  • Hot shoe, but I don't see this as a benefit to myself. The option to add an EVF or flash is nice, but defeats the purpose of keeping this camera compact. At that point you may as well get an SLR. 

  • Better control with the GF1 style click wheel on the back. Seriously, this is the best PaS camera in terms of usability. You literally forget about the controls. Really well thought out. The menus are similar to the LX3 and "just work". Really a nice interface and plenty of options to tweak. 

  • Improved screen. Looks better in the bright Singapore sun than my LX3 ever did. Wish it had more pixel density, but still looks great. 

  • Added 1:1 square format is really neat. Not a major addition, but nice to have. I really like that the LX-series has a dedicated image ratio button. Very useful and unique.




0 comments:

Post a Comment