Thursday, April 7, 2011

MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (Wi-Fi)



This tablet is excellent. I actually use it daily. At first my plan was to use it at work, on the road etc. Now, I take it everywhere and if I forget it I will go back home for it period. Sure, the device isn't perfect but nothing is for that matter. Give it time and updates will come. A lot of users are displeased with the non active SD slot however the memory on the device will hold until this update comes along. Right now I have everything that I use daily on my MAC available on my XOOM (including 15 movies as well). This device will only get better. The App store is growing overnight. Give it time and I'm sure we will see some state of the art apps real soon.



The OS is nice. You can't just pick the XOOM up and do more than basic functions without learning the OS first. However, you will be fine in a week or so. Make sure you get a decent file manager like ES File Explorer, the stock browser is actually pretty good. Very easy to use I love it. Most people will go with Dolphin browser as a replacement. Which will allow you it do some really cool things. Get a copy of PrintShare this app will allow wireless printing it sets limits on what you can print however it allows a decent selection of options. Pick up either Documents to Go or QuickOffice Pro HD believe me you will use it. Make sure you buy a screen protector, carrying case, and car adaptor (really nice when using the navigation app) .



For $599 I get better hardware than the similarly priced iPad2 32Gb version. For example, a dual core Nvidia Tegra chip which runs at 1Ghz vs the A5's 800Mhz per core. Superior front and rear camera that can record in HD and has a flash built in as well as digital zoom ( along with a nice toggle for lighting options and video/photo effects ). A higher resolution screen. A built in HDMI out and access to my files stored on the Xoom without having to use extra software ie iTunes. Strong and resilient Gorilla Glass. And the option to use different file formats, namely flac and avi through apps in the marketplace.



The Operating System on the Xoom is more of a user interface than iOS is and Honeycomb has been around a month, while iOS is almost at 5. I can switch between different tasks effortlessly on the fly and the browsing is phenomenal compared to Safari on iPad. I've got 5 "deskspaces" that I can customize to my liking and everything feels smooth and natural. The virtual keyboard is very good, but I suggest that you purchase a thumb keyboard...it makes things flow that much better. ( I feel one step closer to the computers used in Minority Report ). Also, Flash support!



It does need more apps, and I mean Honeycomb Android specific apps. Although, that's not primarily why I purchased a tablet, it's something the detracts from the whole tablet experience when considering the general consensus.



0 comments:

Post a Comment